It’s finally starting to look and feel like Summer! The grass is green, trees have leaves and Strawberries are starting to actually taste like Strawberries! For months I’ve been buying frozen bags of fruit because I just couldn’t bear the price or taste of the fresh berries the stores brought in. This cake uses a whole cup of fresh Strawberries! It’s great for those containers way in the back of the fridge you might have forgotten about.
It’s also great since it uses a box cake mix, which cuts down on time so I can get out there with the kids and enjoy our short lived Summer!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 box strawberry jello, 85g 4 serving size
- 1 cup crushed Strawberries
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until combined. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar slowly until well combined. Mix in the vanilla and milk. Spread over cooled cake.