I freaked my kids out tonight and made something other than our usual Taco Monday! Most of our activities have wound down for the Summer (yay!) and more time can be spent planning dinners rather than turning to the same old, same old! I’ve got to get out of this dinner rut. Browsing some blogs last night I found a recipe for Brandy mushroom sauced pork chops. I wasn’t about to hit the store for something I might use once. Remember I’m trying to rid myself of the half used food hoarder status? I’m not one for drinking Brandy either. Wine on the other hand – I have a piece of furniture specifically to house wine. No problem! I just swapped it out and lightened the whole dish up a bit using some healthier alternatives.
Rest assured, the kids were not too traumatized and ate them up just as quick as any old Taco!
- 6 thick cut pork chops
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chopped chives, to garnish
- Heat the oil in large skillet.
- Salt and pepper the pork chops then fry the pork chops over medium heat until cooked through.
- Transfer the pork chops to a plate and cover while you prepare the sauce.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the pan and cooked until browned.
- Add the shallots and garlic in with the mushrooms and cook about a minute.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir the mushrooms around.
- Stir in the half and half and cook until the sauce is thickened up a bit. Then add the stock. Season as necessary.
- Add pork chops back to the pan to warm back up and serve with chives sprinkled on top.