Some nights you just know dinner is going to be good. Like, email my husband three times about it good. I spent most of the day clock watching and waiting until I could get this sausage and butternut squash frittata on the go.
It wasn’t until last year that I discovered my love for butternut squash. Something about the texture makes me feel like I’m being really bad or maybe it’s all in the name. Butter.
Roasted is my favorite. Just some olive oil, salt, pepper and a good bake in the oven. I don’t even mind the kids won’t eat it yet. More for me thanks!
Tonight I gave the squash a quick steam in my Epicure silicone steamer to soften it up. How did I ever live without this magical purple square?
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- ½ lb ground sausage
- 1 diced orange or yellow pepper
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ cup shredded cheese, I used a mixed cheddar blend
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the butternut squash and set aside. 8 minutes in the silicone or follow your steamer directions.
- Brown the sausage in a cast iron skillet. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the pepper in the skillet until soft.
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Add the squash, sausage, peppers, onions, parsley, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the egg mixture and cook until bubbling on the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until set.