I started to tally up my weekly trips to the store to grab yet another bag of shredded cheese and it was shocking! Even on sale this stuff is expensive! The reason I never liked to shred my own was the gummy little balls of cheese I ended up with in the processor. Which I happily eat but that’s beside the point.
Today I placed the cheese in the freezer for about 10 minutes and then ran it through my 15 year old food processor. This thing’s never going to quit! The results were non gummy, perfectly shredded cheese! I used a half block and ended up with a huge amount. Waaay more bang for the buck!
This soft taco bake is great for using up odds and ends in the fridge and freezer. You can substitute ground turkey for beef, black beans for refried or change up the cheese. Whatever you have on hand. Remember though, we are self shredding now.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- ¾ cups water
- 5-6 flour tortillas
- 1 (14 oz) can of refried beans
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the beef until no longer pink. Add the seasoning and water to the beef. Cook over medium heat until thickened slightly.
- In a bowl stir the beans and salsa together.
- Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Layer a few tortillas on the bottom of the dish.
- Add half the beef, half the bean mixture, 1 cup of corn and 1 cup of cheese.
- Place one more layer of tortillas and cover with the remaining beef, beans, corn and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.