Bacon and cheese. Who doesn’t love that combination? This spaghetti squash carbonara is an easy dinner made with only a handful of ingredients and it’s ready in 15 minutes!
In the time it takes to steam the squash in the microwave, you can prep and cook the other ingredients and simply toss them all together.
Don’t worry about the raw eggs, they get cooked right in but make sure to stir quickly so you don’t end up with little bits of scrambled eggs. Even if you do. Still good.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 slices of bacon
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, optional
- Cut open the spaghetti squash and scrape out the seeds.
- Place the squash cut side up in a microwave proof dish.
- Pour a ¼ cup of water in each center and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 8-10 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile crack the eggs in a small bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Dice the bacon and fry until crisp over medium heat. Drain most of the fat.
- Press or grate the garlic into the pan with the bacon and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Uncover the squash and reserve ½ cup of the starchy water leftover. This will help to thicken the sauce later.
- Scrape out the spaghetti squash and add it to the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the squash and stir until fully combined.
- Add the reserved water, salt, pepper and parsley.