I did it. Made the thing I said I wasn’t going to start making!
Avocado fries weren’t even on the radar until I was in Calgary eating at a restaurant with my work buds. They always take me to the best spots and introduce me to things I should not be introduced to. Thanks friends.
I knew as soon as I started busting these out there would be no turning back! Obviously chicken and fries (my kids) would not eat these. So we were left with quite a few between the two of us. Good fats I was reassured.
This “recipe” couldn’t be easier. I air quote here because it’s just a simple egg wash, dredge type of deal.
When you pick out the avocado at the store, grab the ones that are ripe but still a bit firm. The soft ones just fall apart and are better left for guacamole. Each one will give you 8 pieces.
- 2 Eggs beaten
- Panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Set up three plates for the flour, egg and panko.
- In a large pan heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Cut the avocado in half and take out the pit.
- Run a small spoon around the peel to remove. Cut each half of the avocado into four slices.
- Lightly coat each slice in flour then dip in the egg and coat with panko crumbs.
- Fry in small batches for about 30 seconds then flip and cook for another 30 seconds until golden brown.
- Sprinkle them with salt and top with grated Parmesan cheese.