I was shopping this weekend – what a nightmare that was! It’s always a delight seeing a mass amount of people and only two checkouts open. The cashier I had held up my fried onions and said she loved them in a salad. I one up’d her and told her about the meatloaf I make with them. She had never heard of such a thing so I figured I’d share our favorite meatloaf with you.
It’s pretty easy and only has a handful of ingredients. Probably ones you already have in the fridge/pantry. Ground beef, tomato soup, French’s fried onions, egg, salt and pepper. I usually make this with sandwiches in mind. Meatloaf + sharp cheddar. The best!
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup tomato soup concentrate
- 1 egg
- 1 can French's fried onions, reserve some for topping
- salt and pepper, a good pinch of each.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and have a loaf pan ready
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, leaving about ¼ cup of fried onions for topping later.
- Mix with your hands or fork, really combine it all together.
- Place the meat in the loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes. Top with the reserved onions and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.