Spiced carrot muffins with orange glaze. They freeze well for a homemade treat anytime!
I’m guessing we’re all happy it’s Friday? The first week back in real pants was hard! I stayed home and worked a few hours a day while the kids were on Winter break and fell deeply in love with our relaxed mornings. There were days we didn’t even leave the house. Staying in pj’s, showering and then getting new pj’s on was difficult to part with.
I am sort of happy to be back to routine, though I’m sure glad it’s the weekend. I’m anxiously awaiting my Saturday morning coffee and muffin. In true January spirit I lightened these spiced carrot muffins up by cutting the oil in half and used apple sauce. The carrots and raisins help to keep the muffins moist and they freeze well too! I placed six in the freezer divided by parchment paper to use later in school lunches. The kids go to a nut free school so I haven’t added any in these but a cup of pecans or walnuts would be a perfect addition.
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- splash of orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners. *See notes
- In a large bowl combine the apple sauce, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the carrots, raisins and coconut.
- Add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt until fully combined.
- Divide evenly into the cupcake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once the muffins are cooled combine the powdered sugar and orange juice to create a glaze. You can make it thicker with more sugar or thin it out with more juice.