Nothing says family dinner like a big pan of Lasagna!
I can’t speak for everyone around here but I’m so happy January is over. I must have spent 99.9% of the month sick. I’m hoping this recent cold snap puts all the germs at bay!
Since I’m finally feeling better we invited my parents over for Sunday dinner. I have this picture in mind where we have fancy dinners that I cook all day, set the table with pretty plates and glasses… That is so opposite of what actually happens. We end up sleeping in until 10, have pj morning that some how turn into 3 pm and rush out to the grocery store to get something for dinner. Luckily I have Campbell’s to save the day!
My fifth post with Campbell’s is the cheesy beef lasagna.
At first when I was browsing the ingredients I wondered how I was going to pull off two cups of mushrooms with my picky pickerson’s but then I remembered the food processor trick! If you pulse the mushrooms in a food processor they blend with beef so well no one even notices them. It’s a great way to add volume to ground beef and increase the veggie count. It’s tricky and I like it.
Like every other Campbell’s recipe I’ve made this one is a total winner. It makes a generous sized lasagna. It’s completely delicious with loads of cheese throughout. We ate half of it for dinner and froze the rest for an easy dinner in the future. Another win!
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) onion, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 lbs (1.3 kg) lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 3 cans (852 mL) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Basil Oregano Soup
- 3 cups (750 mL) Campbell's® Ready to Use No Salt Added Beef Broth
- 4 cups (1 L) light ricotta cheese
- 3 cups (750 mL) mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup (250 mL) Parmesan, grated
- 2 eggs
- 12 oven ready lasagna noodles (uncooked)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables caramelize.
- Add the garlic and ground beef and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes or until the beef is well browned. Add the chili powder and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the soup and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, eggs and black pepper. Mix Well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread 2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9” x 13” pan. Layer 4 lasagna noodles on top, overlapping noodles slightly to cover the bottom.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture over noodles. Layer with 2 ½ cups of meat sauce and 4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the remaining cheese mixture on top of the second layer of noodles, layer with 2 ½ cups of meat sauce and 4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the remaining meat sauce on lasagna noodles, top with parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375°F.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 15 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Disclosure: I am part of the Campbell Company of Canada Ambassador program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.