This Friday we’re going healthy! Well not exactly healthy but healthier with avocado brownies. They’re butter and flour free but still totally cake night worthy.
I started out replacing only the butter with the avocado but then found a little mystery bag in the cupboard. Ahh yes, leftover ground almonds. There always seems to be little bags of this and that leftover with no real purpose. I’m trying to do less tossing and more using. So the flour got replaced as well.
Plus there’s this whole gluten/dairy/egg sensitivity I supposedly have. I’m not about to give any of them up but cutting back never hurts. The whole deal makes me want to hit up a big dose of cheese pizza with a side of DQ blizzard. All which the Doctor said was fine but “expect a reaction” I’ll take my chances! (while I itch some red bumps)
If you’ve got some ripe avocados lying around definitely give these a try. Unless you tell people there are sneaky green ingredients in the brownies they’re probably not going to notice. They may detect the awesomeness that is ground almonds though. Not only does it replace the flour It really lends a nice texture to the brownies!
- 200g chocolate, chopped. I used a mixture of semi and bitter sweet.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 inch square with foil and coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a sauce pan of simmering water. Let it cool while you prepare the batter. Placing it in the fridge works well.
- Mash the avocados in a large bowl. Cream the avocados and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Very slowly add the cooled chocolate to the avocado mixture. Stir in the cocoa powder, ground almonds and salt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean.
- Let the brownies cool and store in the fridge.