Show of hands, who has a huge zucchini lying around? Or those cute small ones I buy then wonder what the heck I’m going to do with. Cake, ahh yes, always a good idea!
In my opinion there’s no better way to use up some shredded zucchini than making this double chocolate zucchini cake. Cocoa and chocolate chips hide all traces of green so no one knows they’re eating vegetables.
I’ve cut down on the oil by half, replacing it with the unsweetened apple sauce I steal from the kids section in my pantry. I call one unsweetened Mott’s container a half a cup even though it’s not quite exact, this recipe is forgiving! If you’ve got a jar of apple sauce go ahead and use an exact measure.
You can use this recipe to make a whole loaf, mini loaves or a cake like I’ve done here. Ever since the double chocolate banana cake turned out so well, I love using an 8 inch cake pan. It cuts the bake time down quite a bit. I’ll leave all the different bake times and sizes in the notes.
I was able to get the 8 inch cake pan and 4 mini loaves with this recipe. Brody’s pretty pumped to take some in his lunch!
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups packed finely shredded zucchini
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mini semi sweet chocolate chips for topping - optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, line an 8 inch baking pan with foil and coat it with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, sugar, oil, apple sauce, vanilla and zucchini. Stir well to combine.
- Add all the dry ingredients except chocolate chips and stir until fully combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the cake pan. I also filled half a pan of mini loaves with batter. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the mini loaves for 25 minutes and the cake for 15 minutes more. 45 total minutes for the cake.
- Leave out to cool before lifting the cake out with the foil and lightly running a knife around the edges of the loaves.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled completely.
8-9 inch cake pan - 45 minutes
9x5 loaf pan - 55-60 minutes