Happy New Year!
What a holiday, so much food!! I’m still lingering in pj’s these days. Thankfully I’m not back to the real world and work until after the weekend. I made these waffles on Christmas morning for my family and parents. We froze the rest and have been enjoying them quickly warmed up with the easiest berry compote. Whipped cream and powdered sugar too!
The waffles are really easy to make and I always like to have the dry ingredients mixed up the night before to save some time in the morning. While they’re in the waffle iron I just grab a bag of frozen fruit, some sugar and a splash of water and create the prettiest topping!
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- splash of water
- Whipped cream and powdered sugar - optional
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients, add the cooled melted butter and give it a stir until fully combined.
- Make the waffles according to your machine.
- In a medium sauce pan combine the fruit, sugar and water. Bring it to a boil then simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Top the waffles with the fruit, whipped cream and powdered sugar.