Friday is finally here and we can all give a big high five for that! What is going on lately? Weekends are whizzing by lightning fast and the rest of the days just drag on and on. I actually find myself getting excited when it’s garbage day since the next sleep means it’s Friday.
I’ve got my wine chilling, pj’s ready and a few slices of this tropical banana bread on standby.
My family is road tripping this weekend and it’s my job to bring along the ever so important snacks. I feel I should disclose this road trip is actually just shy of an hour but the need for snacks remain. Nothing brings on quiet time quite like a portable DVD and food!
My freezer was becoming hoarder central with bananas so I grabbed a few, thawed them out and paired them with some dreamy cream of coconut and crushed pineapple. Totally tropical!
Like my other banana bread and double chocolate banana cake, I swapped out all the butter and oil for unsweetened apple sauce. I’ve never met a person that said “Boy I sure do miss the butter” It’s really not necessary when you’ve got moisture from all the other ingredients.
Bringing along a slice each will ensure my snack packer extraordinaire status remains intact.
- 4 ripe bananas mashed, about 2 cups loosely packed
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cream of coconut - the sweet stuff!
- ½ cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly coat a 9x5 loaf pan
- Mash the bananas and mix with the sugar until well combined. Stir in the apple sauce, eggs, cream of coconut, pineapple and vanilla and coconut.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool for 10-15 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.